DioJC Planned Giving Logo 1C White
Gratitude Tree

Planned giving donors have historically provided essential resources that have enabled the Diocese of Jefferson City to help underwrite many improvement projects through the years and to establish an endowment. The Tree of Gratitude in Alphonse J. Schwartze Memorial Catholic Center in Jefferson City recognizes and honors those families and individuals who have provided for the Diocese of Jefferson City and all its parishes, through a planned gift.

BECOME A PARTNER IN THE CHURCH'S FUTURE

Join other faithful friends by making a lasting impact on your local parish, school, or other diocesan organization through a future gift. Please notify Bishop McKnight if you have already included your parish, school, or other diocesan organization in your estate plan.

What is a Planned Gift or an Estate Gift?

Generally speaking, a "planned gift" or an "estate gift" is a gift to charity that takes effect upon the donor's death.

The gift is typically created before death, but the funding of the gift to that charity is postponed until after the donor's death. It is, at its core, stewardship. It simply is your last act of stewardship when it takes effect. Often, a planned gift can represent a family's most impactful act of stewardship, and can leave a positive legacy that lives on well after we are all gone.

A planned gift can provide extraordinary opportunities and resources to help your local parish or the Diocese of Jefferson City carry out its mission more effectively than ordinary resources and revenues could sustain. A planned gift (estate gift) may enable the donor to make a more significant gift than thought possible. In some circumstances, the planned gift can even be structured to allow the donor to enjoy the subject property for his or her lifetime.

Thorough planning with knowledgeable advisors (tax accountant and/or attorney) may allow one to achieve philanthropic and estate planning goals without adversely impacting financial well-being.

Ways to Give

There are many different ways for you to make a planned gift to your local parish or the Diocese of Jefferson City. A starting point could be to meet with a competent estate planning consultant and ask about different available vehicles in light of your individual circumstances. A couple of simple ideas for how you might determine an estate gift to your local parish or the Diocese of Jefferson City are as follows:

Consider the Diocese of Jefferson City as "one of your children."
For example, if there are four children in your family, then specify in the Will that upon death, the estate be divided into five equal parts, one for each child and one for your local parish or the Diocese of Jefferson City.

Consider an "estate tithe" to the Diocese of Jefferson City.
For example, instruct in the Will that after estate expenses are taken care of, your local parish or the Diocese of Jefferson City is to receive 10% of what is left over, dividing the other 90% between surviving family, other persons, causes or institutions as desired.

If you have named your local parish, school, other diocesan entity in your will, please let us know. We would like to recognize your remarkable commitment to stewardship. If you are considering a planned gift or are simply interested in learning more about planned giving, please call Jake Seifert at 573.635.9127, ext. 227.

Download

Diocese Planned Giving Brochure

Download

Parish Planned Giving Brochure