Physical Address: 5214 North Halter St, Russellville MO 65074
Mailing Address: 13321 Railroad Ave, Russellville MO 65074
Deanery: See City
Pastor: Rev. Msgr. Robert A. Kurwicki
About St. Michael
On October 15, 1887, $100 was donated for a parcel of land deeded to Russellville to establish a Catholic community. Fr. Schramm laid a stone to symbolize the intent of building a church there, and through the contributions of 33 people, a small frame church was built as a mission of St. Martins.
The church was dedicated on October 22, 1890. On January 31, 1891, an additional parcel of land was acquired and six years later, a school was established.
St. Michael was established as a parish in 1916. A new rectory housed a resident priest until the 1930s when the parish was closed for several years. It reopened in 1934 and Fr. Bruemmer from St. Peter in Jefferson City came to say Masses.
Various priests ministered to St. Michaels, which was closed again in February 1970 and reopened in 1984. Groundbreaking for a new church was held on December 24, 2000. Christmas Eve Mass was celebrated in 2001 in the unfinished church building. The finished building was dedicated on June 23, 2002, with Bishop John R. Gaydos presiding.