Pastor: Rev. Anthony J. Viviano
Deacon: James J. Haaf
About St. Joseph
St. Joseph parish in Westphalia, Missouri, the oldest German Catholic parish west of the Mississippi River, celebrated its first Mass on August 6, 1835. The present church was built in 1848, dedicated on October 24, 1894, with a bell tower added in 1883. A major renovation in 1905 elevated the church and added stained-glass windows.
The school was established in 1837 and has continued through to the present day. It is the oldest school in the diocese.
Because of the church's significance as a visual, social, and intellectual landmark for the Westphalia community, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.