Pastor: Rev. Matthew J. Flatley
Deacons: Robert A. Leake; Luke G. Mahsman; John L. Watkins; Troy K. Egbert
About St. Joseph Catholic Church
In 1680 Father Louis Hennepin, a Franciscan priest explorer from France raised a cross and offered Mass on the banks of the Mississippi waters. It was 1818 before any permanent settlers filtered into the present Palmyra parish. The few Catholics that resided there were devout and formed a local church.
In 1866 the parish was founded and the two-story wagon shop of Price & Jackson on the west side of Lane Street was purchased for $300 and converted into a church, ministered to by Franciscans.
In March 1869 construction of a new church began, and in 1899 the cornerstone was laid for the current church building, dedicated November 30, 1899. The parish hall is named for Monsignor Hubert J. Farischon, the first resident pastor. Hew as appointed pastor in August of 1916, and guided the parish for 52 years until 1968.