About St. Joseph Catholic Church
St. Joseph parish was organized in 1879 by Fr. Anton Pauck as a mission of St. Mary's parish in Glasgow. The first church building was blessed on November 5, 1890. St. Joseph's became a parish in 1900 with Fr. Joseph Kroeger as the first pastor. St. Joseph returned to mission status in 1908 and was placed with Sacred Heart parish in New Franklin. Because of a very small congregation, St. Joseph's was closed sometime after 1920.
In 1954, Joseph Ritter, Archbishop of St. Louis expressed a desire for a new church in Howard County, and Fr. Thomas Sullivan was appointed pastor. Groundbreaking for the new St. Joseph Catholic Church took place in Fayette just after Easter in 1956. It was dedicated at Midnight Mass on Christmas in 1956.