About Sacred Heart Catholic Church
The parish in Rich Fountain, Missouri was founded in 1838 by Father Ferdinand Helias, SJ. The earliest parishioners from Bavaria, Germany were staunch Catholics. Fr. Helias celebrated the first known Mass for four early Catholic families on May 16, 1838 -- and within two years the families of the settlement had built a small log church on the four acres of land donated by the Struemph family. Mass was celebrated there for the first time on December 3, 1840.
With an increase in worshipers in the 1850s prompting expansion, a new, spacious and artistic church was built chiefly by parishioners in 1880 and dedicated on October 16 of that year.
A small log school went up in 1844, and in 1883 the School Sisters of Notre Dame began a ministry that continued for over a century. They received a convent in 1888, which was replaced in 1961. A rectory was added to the church in 1892 and functioned until a limestone edifice replaced it in 1904 and the present brick building was erected in 1964.