About Our Lady of the Snows
The community in Mary's Home built its first church in 1883, calling it St. Mary. In 1889 the first parish school was built. In 1892 the diocese took over the parish from the Precious Blood Fathers, and the newly=-decorated wood-framed church, which burned to the ground January 1, 1907, was rebuilt from stone in June of that year.
A few years later, the steeple blew off in a tornado. It was replaced through the generosity of a former parishioner in 20015 (almost 100 years later!) In 1938 Fr. John Knoebbe changed the parish name from St. Mary to Our Lady of the Snows and wrote the beautiful hymn that is sung in her honor.
In 1951 a larger brick school building was completed. Religious sisters operated the school until the Great Depression when lay teachers took over. In 1957 the sisters returned, but in 1975 lay teachers again took charge.