The William H. (Bill) Simon Scholarship Fund awards scholarships to Catholic students who are in financial need for the purpose of attending an accredited college or university of the student’s choice. The scholarship is $ 1,000 per semester to assist the student in meeting educational needs. Scholarship funds are paid directly to the institution or to the student upon presentation of receipts paid to the institution for tuition, fees, and/or room and board. It is the intent to award three new scholarships each year; however, the actual number of new awards will be contingent upon the current number of previous recipients that are eligible for renewal.
To be eligible to receive the Simon Scholarship, the student must meet the following criteria:
- You (or your family) must be a registered Catholic in the Jefferson City Diocese.
- You must complete a scholarship application in full.
- You must obtain a written letter of recommendation from a school official (e.g. teacher, counselor, principal, coach) and your current or past parish priest/pastoral administrator.
- You must demonstrate financial need. You will be required to submit a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR). This report is generated through the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is available at all guidance and financial aid offices and at most libraries. It may also be filed electronically via the Internet.
The deadline for submission of the application, SAR, and letters of recommendation is March 31, 2019 (if sending via post, it must be postmarked by March 31, 2019). All applicants will be notified of the results by May 1, 2019.
Download the application form here
Submit Applications to: Simon Scholarship
P.O. Box 104900
Jefferson City, MO 65110-4900
The scholarship is renewable for $ 1,000 per semester for up to eight (8) semesters ($8,000 maximum). To continue eligibility, the student must:
- Maintain a GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale each semester. The student will be responsible for presenting official grade reports for the preceding semester.
- Show successful completion of at least nine (9) academic hours per semester and be enrolled or intend to be enrolled in at least nine (9) academic hours for the upcoming semester.
- Unless there is a major change in the student’s ability to pay, the scholarship will be renewed as long as all other criteria are met – this includes continuing to live a Catholic life.