Liturgical Commission Chair
Rev. Daniel Merz
Alphonse J. Schwartze Memorial Catholic Center
2207 West Main St
Jefferson City, MO 65109-0914
Members of the Liturgical Commission
- Rev. Daniel Merz – St. Thomas More Newman Center, Columbia (Pastor); chairman
- Rev. Louis Dorn – Retired
- Rev. Jeremy Secrist – St. Peter Parish, Jefferson City (Pastor and liaison for the oversight and care of organs)
- Rev. Joshua Duncan – St. Mary Parish, Glasgow; St. Joseph Parish, Fayette (Parochial Administrator; Master of Ceremonies to the Bishop)
- Mr. Enrique Castro – Director, Diocesan Office of Hispanic and Cross-Cultural Ministry
- Deacon John L. Neudecker – St. Peter Parish, Fulton – Mexico deanery
- Mr. Tom Halpin, Music Director – Cathedral of St. Joseph, Jefferson City
- Mr. Mark Sievers – Immaculate Conception Parish, St. James (art & environment)
- Dr. Kevin Myers, DWS, St. Thomas More Newman Center Parish, Columbia
RCIA Subcommittee Members
- Deacon Kenneth Berry- St. Joseph Parish, Edina
- Mrs. Lisa Rose- St. Thomas More Newman Center, Columbia
The Rite of Election and Call to Continuing Conversion will be March 6, 2022, at 3 pm. Catechumenate coordinators are asked to complete this form by Dec. 10, 2021, to…
A workshop on how to use antiphons set to music provided by the diocesan chapter of the National Association of Pastoral Musicians.
The Diocese of Jefferson City has entered into a group agreement with OneLicense, which allows parishes to reprint or project music for the congregation, to podcast or stream services containing this music, or to copy practice-tracks for rehearsal purposes. One License distributes royalties equitably to composers, authors, and publishers.
Father Dan Merz, chair of the diocesan Liturgical Commission, explains the work of the diocesan hymnal committee in fostering unity in diversity in liturgical music.
Catholic hymns may have inspiring melodies, but unless the text also communicates the truth of the mystery of faith, they cannot be called beautiful. Beauty is constitutively related to truth. Father Dan Merz, chair of the diocesan Liturgical Commission, reviews guidance from the US bishops on how to evaluate hymn lyrics.
On Dec. 10, 2020, the Committee on Doctrine of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops released a short document entitled, “Catholic Hymnody at the Service of the Church: An Aid for Evaluating Hymn Lyrics.” Father Daniel Merz, chair of the diocesan Liturgical Commission, unpacks the document.
Father Dylan Schrader explains the Mass antiphons: what they are, their history, and current liturgical law regarding the singing of antiphons during Mass.
The Immaculate Heart of Mary is the patronness of the Diocese of Jefferson City. Bishop W. Shawn McKnight has authorized the Diocese to celebrate this feast on June 21, 2020.…