About Holy Spirit
The parish of Holy Ghost, now Holy Spirit, was founded by Fr. John J. Hogan, who was to become the first bishop of St. Joseph and later of Kansas City.
By 1869, three years after the parish's establishment, a Catholic church was built at Sturgeon, which then closed. A wood-frame church was erected through the generosity of a donor and opened in Centralia in 1904. Parishioners worshiped at Centralia or Moberly until 1949.
in 1987 a multipurpose building was added, and in 1996 parishioners built a new altar and pulpit, and outdoors, a grotto to Our Lady that rests on stones from Sturgeon.