About Church of the Risen Savior
Church of the Risen Savior in Rhineland, Missouri sprang forth from two Catholic parishes: St. Martin Parish chartered in 1848 and named after the Bishop of Tours, France, and St. Joseph Parish, chartered in 1913.
These parishes have rich histories in the area, including a hand in contributing to the town of Starkenburg. St. Martin's pastor, Fr. Hoehn had applied for a post office and needed to include a name on the forms. Looking around at the hills and the new church steeple at St. Martin, he was reminded of the Starkenburg fortress atop a hill in his German homeland of Happenheim. In signing "Starkenburg" on the form, he in fact named the area.
In 1906, parishioners began to quarry stone for the Shrine of Our Lady of Sorrows. On July 28, 1906, Fr. Hoehn broke ground and the site was leveled, and excavation for the foundation began. The Shrine was dedicated on September 15, 1910, with hundreds of pilgrims in attendance by Archbishop Glennon.