25 September 2023
Service is a public expression of our faith. It’s how we express our belief in God and live out Jesus’s teachings. In this month’s podcast, we conclude our discussion with Fr. Stephen Jones about the Four Pillars of Stewardship — focusing on the concept of service.
This podcast is the fourth and final episode in our series about the Four Pillars of Stewardship with Fr. Jones, the diocesan director of stewardship. This series is designed to help us deepen our understanding of the spirituality of stewardship as we approach the October Catholic Stewardship Renewal.
All of the episodes in this series are available at diojeffcity.org/podcast.
Rest in Peace
Please join us in praying for Monsignor Michael Wilbers, a retired priest of our diocese, who passed away peacefully on Sept. 19. The Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 11 a.m. today at the Cathedral of St. Joseph. It will be livestreamed on Facebook. His full obituary can be found at: https://buff.ly/3rt6XjO
Thank you for your prayers for him and his family.
Darker versions of the bulletin graphics promoting the Catholic Stewardship Renewal small group booklet are now available at this link! Also, when printing the booklets, please download the new “pages” versions included in the folder at this link. We apologize for the confusion regarding the original version as it was meant for printing with 11×17″ paper. The new versions are optimized for 8.5×11″ paper, making the text larger and more readable. Thank you for promoting and distributing this booklet!
Oct. 16-18: Protect Young Eyes workshops
The Diocese of Jefferson City is hosting a series of informational events that will educate students about safe online practices and help parents create tech-ready homes. National speakers from Protect Young Eyes will be in the diocese for a series of presentations in seven communities over the course of three days in October. The events are free to attend and all parents are encouraged to join the evening sessions.
Monday, Oct. 16
- 6:30 p.m. — St. Brendan School, Mexico
- 6:30 p.m. — Alphonse J. Schwartze Memorial Catholic Center, Jefferson City
- 6:30 p.m. — Immaculate Conception School, Macon
Tuesday, Oct. 17
- 6:30 p.m. — St. Pius X School, Moberly
- 6:30 p.m. — Holy Rosary School, Monroe City
- 6:30 p.m. — Our Lady of Lourdes Interparish School, Columbia
Wednesday, Oct. 18
- 6:30 p.m. — St. Joseph School, Westphalia
Please promote these events in your parish. A promotional flyer and social media graphics are available here.
Oct. 28: Diaconate information session
The Office of Diaconate Formation will be hosting an information session for anyone interested in learning more about the permanent diaconate. The session will include insights into the life and ministry of permanent deacons. It will also offer information on the application and formation process.
The session is open to anyone who has wondered if they were being called to the vocation of the diaconate and to their spouse.
It is going to be held on Saturday, October 28 from 9:30 a.m. to noon at the Diocesan Chancery in Jefferson City. Please email Deacon John Schwartze at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and to RSVP.
- Where: Diocesan Chancery, Rooms 306 and 307
- Date: Saturday, October 28
- Time: Begins at 9:30 a.m. and ends at noon
Can you spare two Prie Dieus?
St Patrick Catholic Church in Jonesburg is looking to acquire two Prie Dieus. If anyone can help with this, please contact Debbie Enger at 636-488-5623 or email@example.com.
Mass attendance counts continue
Mass attendance counts are continuing in the Diocese of Jefferson City for at least the next 1 to 2 years. The decision was made by the Presbyteral Council during their June 6 meeting. The counting had been set to end on July 31. However, the counts were deemed useful to the Pastoral Planning process and it was decided that parishes should continue to collect these statistics.
All parishes should continue counting and reporting their Mass attendance.
The rules for reporting will remain the same. Parishes are encouraged to continue using the online form to report their counts: https://diojeffcity.org/mass-attendance/
Share in bulletins, emails, social media, and websites
Catholic Charities PEACE events
“Love faces a vast field of work and the Church is eager to make her contribution with her social doctrine, which concerns the whole person and is addressed to all people.”
– Compendium of Social Doctrine of the Church
Join Catholic Charities for an afternoon of faith formation, fellowship, and information on how Catholic Charities can help equip you and your parish to meet the needs of others through works of charity and mercy. With six event options spanning the diocese and host parishes in each deanery, we look forward to collecting together in an atmosphere of prayer to explore how Catholic Charities can best equip individuals, families, and parishes to carry out works of charity for their local communities.
What to expect:
Dynamic speakers, informative presentations, afternoon snacks, and an opportunity to connect with others in your community and across your deanery who are involved in stewardship, social ministries, and more. We hope you’ll join!
RSVP for the event most convenient for you at: cccnmo.diojeffcity.org/peace
Catechesis of the Good Shepherd is a Montessori style religious education program. That means we have beautiful materials kids and adults can touch, move and manipulate to learn and wonder about God through scripture and the sacraments.
Join us Saturday, October 28 from 9am to 4:30pm at Newman Parish in Columbia for a workshop on CGS and the Eucharist and discover what CGS can bring to you and your community. Click here to Register.
Parish Leader Formation Day
As we juggle the demands of ministry, family, and the rest of life, it can be easy to start feeling like the “hamster on the wheel” running faster and faster yet not accomplishing anything, much less living with purpose. In this session, we’ll step off the wheel, reflect on what matters most in our lives, and learn a process to align our lives to the deep purpose God has planted in us. Join us September 26 from 9am to 3pm at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish in Columbia. The cost of $30 covers lunch, workbook and book.
To learn more about the presenter, conference, and register click here: https://diojeffcity.org/parish-leader-formation-day-registration/
Women’s Ministry fall events
All women of our diocese are invited to attend our diocesan wide fall events. There are two opportunities to gather. Come to one/come to both! Join us for a Ladies Night out Friday evening or our all day retreat on Saturday. Both feature author and syndicated talk show host, Teresa Tomeo. We hope to see you there!
Oct. 11: CPR Training
The Immaculate Conception Health Ministry Team is hosting CPR Training on October 11 from 5:30-8:30 pm in Pleus Hall at Immaculate Conception Parish in Jefferson City. Cost is $75. Contact Debbie Hilke at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-690-8077.
Date change! Please note the new date for this upcoming event at the Cathedral of St. Joseph in Jefferson City:
Eventos en Español
Congreso Diocesano: Multipurpose Building-Saline County Fairgrounds, Marshall (7 de octubre, 8:30am-6pm, y 8 de octubre, 8:30am-4pm)
El Congreso Diocesano es un evento organizado por el Comité Diocesano de la Renovación Carismática Católica. Es un evento de gracia y bendición para toda la comunidad y las familias Hispanas de la diócesis. Por medio de la alabanza, oración, enseñanza y fraternidad que se vive durante todo el evento, se fortalecen y sanan las familias, los servidores y las comunidades. Este es un evento único y especial que nadie puede perderse.
Para más información contacte Ilsi Palacios al (316) 530-1004 o por correo electrónico a ComiteDiocesanoRCCH@gmail.com.
Retiro para Preparación de Quinceañera: San Pedro, Marshall (14 de octubre, 10am-4pm)
Retiro de Crecimiento: Escuela Sacred Heart, Sedalia (18 y 19 de noviembre)
Este retiro es para mujeres y hombres que ya vivieron el retiro de vida en el Espíritu. Es una experiencia de fortalecimiento y reencuentro con Jesús para renovar su compromiso bautismal. Así, los participantes pueden contribuir de una manera más comprometida en la misión de la Iglesia compartiendo sus dones y talentos en sus comunidades. Para más información contacte a Ilsi Palacios al (316) 530-1004 o por correo electrónico a ComiteDiocesanoRCCH@gmail.com.
PEREGRINACIÓN A ROMA Y TIERRA SANTA del 20 de noviembre al 1 de diciembre del 2023 – Diócesis de Jefferson City (Pilgrimage in Spanish)
¡Acompañe al Padre Cesar Anicama en una gran peregrinación a Roma y Tierra Santa! Volaremos a Roma para visitar sus basílicas, y lugares culturales, audiencia con el Papa, Asís y más. Después volaremos a Tierra Santa donde caminaremos por los lugares santos donde Jesús vivió, incluyendo Tiberíades, Belén, Jerusalén, Galilea y más.
Para hacer una reservación, póngase en contacto con Canterbury Pilgrimages & Tours HOY al: 1-800-653-0017. También por WhatsApp/textos/llamadas al (347) 463-3998.
Contacto local: Diacono Enrique Castro (573) 680-3650.
The Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City has a career opportunity for a Controller who will manage the accounting department for the organization. Duties include managing chancery accounting personnel, Sage accounting and investment portfolio platforms, cash flow, accounts payable, billing, accounts receivable, PP&E, GL level and general accounting platforms. Specific duties include monthly accounting period closings and reconciliations, preparing monthly trial balance, preparing monthly financial analysis and quarterly financial statements. This individual will also manage the annual financial audit process and oversee all chancery bank accounts and supervise maintenance of budgets. Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Accounting
- Minimum of ten (10) years of job-related experience preferred, but not required
- 501(c)(3) fund accounting experience preferred, but not required
- Public accounting experience helpful, but not required
- Strong computer skills and ability to easily work in Sage, MS Excel and MS Word
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply through our job posting on Indeed.com or send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
The Catholic Diocese of Jefferson City is seeking a Finance Manager to assist the Chief Financial Officer with overseeing and supervising the day-to-day functions of the Finance Office. This individual will oversee the accounting of multiple entities, including but not limited to general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, banking and cash receipts. Additional duties include providing support to parishes, and assisting with the diocese investment platforms, oversight of the risk management program and annual external audits. Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, plus three to five years’ experience in a multi-faced accounting role. Non-profit fund accounting is preferred. Experience with Sage accounting system is a plus, but not required. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply with our posting on Indeed.com or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Peter Catholic Church is seeking a Custodian to serve in a full time position that will include cleaning of the school and Selinger Hospitality Center. The custodian will need good communications skills to interact with teachers, parents, students and priests. Reports to the Maintenance Supervisor. This position will require an 8-hour workday with the starting time to be determined in consultation with the supervisor. It could include work on Saturday/Sunday, if needed, such as when we have inclement weather or a special event. Complete job description at https://www.saintpeterjc.org/employment/
Sacred Heart School in Sedalia MO has an opening for a Communication and Technology Director. This is a full-time, exempt position. All interested persons should complete the application and contact the Principal, Nancy Manning at email@example.com.
- Communications (website management, social media, event photography, videos, create graphics, newsletter writing, etc.).
- Technology (Google, PC, FACTS logins, copy machines, monitor solar panels, daily tech issues, audio system, e-rate management, teacher tech training, update technology, google domain management, iPad, Chromebook cart management, tech security, etc.). See this ad on Indeed.
The Chancery Office of the Diocese of Jefferson City is seeking a full-time (30-40 hours/week) custodian/maintenance professional to personally clean and coordinate maintenance services. Daily shifts to start in the early afternoon.
General duties include:
- Emptying trash and cleaning of all offices, restrooms, and public areas
- Minor household maintenance (unstopping toilets, changing light bulbs, painting, moving furniture, changing sink faucets, etc.)
- Hard surface floor cleaning and spot cleaning carpet
- Changing HVAC filters
- Ordering cleaning supplies and paper products
- Maintaining sidewalks, stairways and walkways in inclement weather
- Coordinating maintenance for other types of repairs; plumbing, lawn care, parking lot maintenance, pest control, etc.
St. Thomas More Newman Center in Columbia is seeking a Director of Music. Click here for more details and application information.
Immaculate Heart of Mary Child Development Center is seeking dedicated and passionate individuals to join our team as Early Childhood Center Staff. A successful candidate is committed to providing a safe, Christ-like environment for the children, where they are loved, safe, and encouraged to learn. As part of our center, you will play a crucial role in providing a nurturing and educational environment for young children. Your primary responsibilities will include engaging in age-appropriate activities, ensuring the safety and well-being of children, promoting their social and cognitive development, and maintaining a positive atmosphere within the center. Starting pay is $15.00 per hour. Click here for more information.
Seeking a Highly Skilled Administrative Assistant: The Administrative Assistant for the Stewardship office is responsible for assisting the Director and Associate Director in implementing the Bishop’s vision of spirituality of stewardship throughout the Diocese of Jefferson City, which covers 38 counties in central and northeastern Missouri.
- Prepares presentation materials and strategic briefings for deans and pastors
- General administrative and office management duties
- Meticulously plans, coordinates and executes events and activities
- Provides administrative support for the department
- Works closely with the Director of Stewardship and Associate Director of Stewardship as a team partner to educate parishioners on the spirituality of stewardship and convey the impact and importance of supporting their parish and sharing their gifts for the common good
- Ability to travel within the diocese (no overnight travel); fleet vehicle provided for day trips
Practicing Catholic in good standing is preferred. Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Event planning and management is desired.
We are seeking a confident, competent individual to manage the stewardship office. Please apply through our job posting on Indeed.com or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holy Family Parish in Hannibal is seeking a Director of Religious Education and Youth Minister. Key responsibilities include:
- Assist the pastor in the responsibility for the Catholic faith formation for parish youth and adults
- Implements the Bishop’s confirmation preparation policy
- Organizes, schedules and oversees religious education in the parish
- Administers a formation program for catechists that leads to certification and tracks completion
- In cooperation with Diocesan Director of Religious Education and Youth Minister, orders approved textbooks, liturgy materials and other works that complement the religious education efforts of the parish
- Provides resources and programs for adult formation
A Bachelor’s degree in theology or religious education is preferred. The pastor is willing to consider either one (1) full-time candidate or possibly two (2) part-time individuals. Resumes can be sent directly to Fr. Alex Gabriel, Holy Family Parish, 218 S. Maple Avenue, Hannibal, MO 63401 or applicants can apply on Indeed.com.
Our Lady of Lourdes Interparish School Positions:
- Cafeteria Supervisor: OLLIS is looking for three adults (parents, grandparents, friends) who like children and want to make extra money. Qualifications include love of children, practicing Catholic preferred, ability to lift 50 lbs., and standing on feet for extended periods. This is a position that follows the students’ calendar. You are off when students are off. The essential duties include supervising students and assisting them with their needs during lunch, such as opening things, sweeping up the floor, and washing tables between shifts. This would be fun if you could find two other friends to join you. We would love to see a group that can help us with our ROAR expectations and makes our dining experience something students continue to enjoy. Hours are 10:30-1:30. If interested, please email Elaine Hassemer at email@example.com.