22 June 2020
Yesterday was the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, our diocesan patronness. My homily at the Cathedral of St. Joseph addresses how our devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary can lead us to a prayerful means of addressing the evil of racism. You can find the text of the homily here.
We continue to receive parish pastoral plans and are reviewing and responding on a weekly basis. Thank you to all who are working on these. Please note that in the most recent issue of The Catholic Missourian I have written about the concept of co-responsibility, which is one of the three pillars of our pastoral planning process, “Better Together.”
On June 15, I issued a decree with updated instructions for parishes effective Tuesday, June 16, after Gov. Mike Parson lifted statewide regulations on June 15, leaving the determination of public health requirements to local governments. Important safety measures will continue to help protect congregants from infection and slow the spread of the coronavirus.
Scheduling for confirmation 2021 is now open. Parishes must submit their forms online now. Please visit www.diojeffcity.org/confirmation to schedule confirmation before Monday, Aug. 31 and to download our new policy and practices as well as liturgical forms. Contact John DeLaporte, director of Youth Ministry and Religious Education, if you have questions.
If you intend to come to the Chancery office in person, you must have an appointment in advance with the person you intend to meet. Please note the Chancery will be screening all guests with a health questionnaire and temperature check. This is for the safety of all.
NPM Virtual Convention
The 43rd annual convention of the National Pastoral Musicians (NPM) will be held July 7-10 virtually. A full schedule, registration details and more are available at https://npm.org/43rd-annual-convention/. Click on this link for a preview of the format!
To share in emails, social media, and websites
Updates on Youth Summer Activities
- Camp Siena:Young women of high school age are invited to participate in a one-day retreat in the spirit of Camp Siena: Saturday, July 18 at the National Shrine of Mary located at St. Patrick Church in Laurie. The day will include activities, talks, prayer, food, sacrament…and likely ice cream and dance parties! Who knows! Details and registration coming soon! Please contact Kris Hartman, diocesan events coordinator, for details.
- Camp Maccabee: Week One of Maccabee has been consolidated into Week Two on July 26-31. Campers have been notified and space is still available. To learn more or to download camper registrations visit www.campmaccabee.com.
- CHRISTpower: The CHRISTpower retreat has been cancelled and transformed into a week-long #CHRISTpower challenge! CHRISTpower alumni and people from across the diocese will be invited to perform spiritual and corporal works of mercy in their homes and local communities and share their work through the social media campaign. Stay tuned for all the details!
- Totus Tuus:The 2020 Missionary Team has created a host of fun, entertaining, catechetical videos inspired by the 2020 TT curriculum, which will soon be made available. They’ve also developed teen talk videos and an Instagram page for teens to follow their spiritual adventures as summer unfolds! More info on this will be made available very soon. If your parish would like to host a team this summer we have spaces available in July. Please contact John DeLaporte directly to learn how to bring our missionaries to your parish this summer!
Gathering Girlfriends for Grace
Women’s Ministry is offering a series of online book club discussions this summer. Please consider promoting these wonderful opportunities to be inspired and to grow friendships!
How to Find Your Soulmate without Losing Your Soul, led by Erin Boeckmann, will be offered on Tuesdays at 7:30 pm, June 23 – July 22. More information and registration are available at https://diojeffcity.org/blog/2020/05/15/how-to-find-your-soulmate-without-losing-your-soul/
All In: Why Belonging to the Catholic Church Matters will be led by Denise Barnes on (Wednesdays at 6:30 pm, June 24 – July 22. More information and registration are available at https://diojeffcity.org/blog/2020/05/18/all-in-why-belonging-to-the-catholic-church-matters/.
The Catholic Woman’s Guide to Making and Keeping Fabulous, Faith-filled Friends will be led by Whitney Lammers on Wednesdays at 7:30 pm, July 8 – Aug. 8. More information and registration are available at https://diojeffcity.org/blog/2020/05/18/the-friendship-project-the-catholic-womans-guide-to-making-and-keeping-fabulous-faith-filled-friends/.
Connect your college-bound seniors with a Newman Center next year!
Newman Connection is an online resource to help high school seniors connect to the Newman Center serving their college campus. Newman Centers rely heavily on their affiliation with Newman Connection for support in evangelizing to the incoming class of students. Click here for digital materials for parishes and schools to use to help connect your seniors to a Newman Center next year. Or, share this sign-up page with your high school seniors and they can sign themselves up to connect with a Newman Center at their college or university.
Stay-at-Home FertilityCare Instruction
FertilityCare Instruction continues to be offered by Zoom. The Introductory Session is always complimentary and follow-up fees have been waived until June 1. This class is of interest for marriage preparation, infertility, medical applications, regular or irregular cycles, breastfeeding and fertility appreciation from adolescence to menopause. Contact FerilityCare of Columbia, Phyllis A. White, CFCE 816-550-8789 or FertilityCare.CoMo@gmail.com
Annunciation Parish in California is seeking a director of religious education and youth ministry. For more information, visit https://diojeffcity.org/california-dre-youth-job-opening
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri has an immediate opening for a Bilingual (English/Spanish) Disaster Case Manager. Disaster Case Management is a time-limited process by which a skilled Disaster Case Manager partners with a disaster-affected individual or family (Client) in order to plan for and achieve realistic goals for recovery following a natural disaster (including COVID-19/Coronavirus). This comprehensive and holistic Disaster Case Management approach to recovery extends beyond providing relief, providing a service, or meeting urgent needs.For a full job description visit the Catholic Charities website at: https://cccnmo.diojeffcity.org/about-us/careers/. To apply please submit cover letter and resume to Alissa Marlow, Director of Community Services.
Parishes are asked to use this form to send any updates of their parishioners: address changes, marriages, divorces, death, etc.
- As of April 27, the Chancery is no longer using PO Box 104900. Please address all correspondence to the street address 2207 W. Main, Jefferson City, MO 65109. The Post Office will forward mail from the PO box to the street address for up to one year, but the forwarding process will slow your delivery. Please begin using the street address immediately.
- Parishes are asked to publish in their bulletins the need for relief parents at St. Nicholas Academy. You can find the listing here.
- Please consider posting this helpful information for your parishioners on how to identify email and text scams.
- In the interest of time and accuracy, The Catholic Missourian has moved to a simple online process for submitting events for the Things to Do page. To have an event considered for publication in Things to Do and in the diocesan online events calendar, go to diojeffcity.org/event-listing and follow the directions. The process is straightforward and user-friendly. Events submitted for display advertising will be automatically included in Things to Do, as will items that have been previously submitted.
Please feel free to disseminate the information in the “Monday Morning Memo” to a broader audience, such as parishioners and school families! Is there someone else who should receive this Weekly Memo? Please encourage them to sign up here!