3 February 2020
Please consider reading this important letter from Archbishop Robert Carlson. Although the letter is addressed to the priests and deacons of the St. Louis Archdiocese, he has asked me to share it with you as well.
As a reminder:
- Bishop’s prayer intention for February – for those with limited print space availability, we now have the prayer intention in English only.
- Breaking the Silence of Abuse – resources for bulletins and web. Also, please publicize upcoming Protecting God’s Children (Virtus) workshops.
The 2019 Sacramental Registers are due by Feb. 14. This is information provided to the Holy See. Please send to email@example.com or mail to Attn: Sacramental Forms, PO Box 104900, Jefferson City, MO 65110-4900 as soon as possible so the diocese’s report can be accurate. If there are no records to report in your parish(es), please complete the heading of the form and enter “None” on the first line and return. Please contact Connie Schepers with any questions at 573-635-9127, ext. 224.
We’re pleased to announce the following staff changes at the Chancery:
- Denise Barnes will begin transitioning into the role of Communications Specialist. Denise has a degree in marketing and education; supporting the Blackbaud system will be one of her key responsibilities. She will begin work today, Feb. 3,on a part-time basis as she transitions out of her current role as director of After School Care at St. Joseph’s Cathedral School.
- Erin Boeckmann is now Administrative Assistant to LeAnn Korsmeyer and Brad Copeland. She is very interested in working in the area of women’s ministry and parish and charitable services.
The annual Lenten regulations and obligations are available on our website. Please visit https://diojeffcity.org/lenten-regulations/ for more information.
With Ash Wednesday on Feb. 26, Lent is approaching fast. Now is a good time to make sure your parish or school has all the CRS Rice Bowl materials you need to make this Lent a meaningful, faith-filled experience. If you haven’t received your materials, or if you haven’t participated in CRS Rice Bowl in the past but would like to do so now, please go to https://www.crsricebowl.org/ to order bowls, calendars and explore other available resources. The theme “For Lent For Life” reminds us that through CRS Rice Bowl U.S. Catholics are feeding the hungry of the world as well as the hungry at home.
St. Peter Parish in Jefferson City has 22 study guides for the “Matthew: The King and His Kingdom” Bible study class for sale. Please contact the St. Peter Parish Office if you are interested in purchasing these at a reduced rate, 573-636-8159.
PLEASE PROMOTE THIS IN YOUR BULLETINS AND DIGITAL MEDIA:
Applications for the 2020-2021 Simon Scholarship and Warack Scholarship are being accepted through March 31, 2020. Applications can be acquired through the pastor or parish life collaborator or may be downloaded at diojeffcity.org/scholarships.
For those who keep their printed Diocesan Directory updated, below is a link to a listing of the most recent changes. Please note these changes have already been made on our website.
Employment opportunities: There are several openings in our Catholic schools. Please promote these openings.
St. Peter Parish in Jefferson City is seeking applicants for the position of Rectory and Church Cleaner. This is a part time position (20-30 hours per week). Please contact the St. Peter Parish Office for a complete job description or more information, call 573-636-8159.
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri is seeking a Director of Development & Outreach to lead our fundraising, marketing, public relations, and grant application and management efforts. Applicants must possesses a strong commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities including the understanding of Catholic Social Teaching and ability to demonstrate the philosophy and values of the agency. To learn more and apply: https://cccnmo.org/about/careers/
Parishes are asked to use this form to send any updates of their parishioners.
As a reminder:
- Parishes are asked to publish in their bulletins the need for relief parents at St. Nicholas Academy. You can find the listing here.
- Please consider posting this helpful information for your parishioners on how to identify email and text scams.
- In the interest of time and accuracy, The Catholic Missourian has moved to a simple online process for submitting events for the Things to Do page. To have an event considered for publication in Things to Do and in the diocesan online events calendar, go to diojeffcity.org/event-listing and follow the directions. The process is straightforward and user-friendly. Events submitted for display advertising will be automatically included in Things to Do, as will items that have been previously submitted.
Please consider promoting these events in your bulletins, other print publications, on your website and in other digital sites. Please use the description in our online event page (links provided for each event) for your print products. You may find more events on our diocesan website.
Protecting God’s Children workshops
The Catholic Church in the United States is committed to providing safe environments in all of our ministries and activities, especially those involving children and youth. One aspect of our commitment is that anyone who works with minors in our parishes, schools and other Catholic organizations in the Diocese of Jefferson City receive training. For a full list of trainings currently available, please visit our Virtus site and select “Jefferson City, MO (Diocese),” or go to our Events page and filter by “Protecting God’s Children.”
On World Day of the Sick (feast of Our Lady of Lourdes), Feb. 11, a Mass for people with special needs and illness will be celebrated at 7 p.m. at St. Stephen Parish, 27519 Monroe Rd. 533, Monroe City. Organized by the Indian Creek Knights of Columbus, the Mass will be celebrated by their chaplain, Father Greg Oligschlaeger. All are welcomed. If you require assistance or transportation in order to attend this Mass, contact Grand Knight Darin Underhill at 573-603-4264.
Urban Retreat Flyer Feb. 22 23
The Diocese of Jefferson City Women’s Ministry is hosting a Women’s Conference entitled “Walk in Her Sandals” on Saturday, March 7 from 9 a.m. -3 p.m. at St. Joseph Cathedral in Jefferson City, Missouri. Mrs. Kelly Wahlquist, founder of WINE: Women in the New Evangelization and author of Created to Relate, is our featured speaker. To register for the event please visit www.diojeffcity.org/womens-ministry. For questions or concerns, please contact LeAnn Korsmeyer or Erin Boeckmann at (573) 635-9127 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please feel free to disseminate the information in this Monday Morning Memo to a broader audience, such as parishioners and school families! Is there someone else who should receive this Weekly Memo? Please encourage them to sign up here!