27 January 2020
I spoke of my recent travels and of the impact on our diocese with Hal Dulle on KWOS on Saturday morning. The podcast of the interview will be posted on their website.
Please consider the following request from Father Paul Clark:
Dear Brother Priests – for the past several weeks we have provided information about the upcoming Midwest March for Life on Feb. 1 to be included in bulletins and promoted within the parishes of our diocese. Today I share with you a request to each one of us, an invitation to be part of this important event within our state. Many of our parishioners give of their time and prayer as a witness to the dignity of human life – a reality that is not just part of our belief as Catholics, but fundamental to it. I ask that you please consider attending the March this year, not just as a witness to life, but also as a support for our people who are working hard within the Pro-Life movement throughout the year. This is a well run event that gathers many participants (including leaders of Pro-Life organizations, Pregnancy Centers and many volunteers) and provides for us as priests the opportunity to be present and say thank you.
Bishop McKnight is planning to attend and was invited to begin the event with a few words and a blessing of the cross that is carried in the front of the March. Traditionally, priests will join other religious and civil leaders at the front to begin the 3/4 mile walk. The event is Feb. 1 and begins in front of the Selinger Expo Hall at St. Peter Catholic Church in Jefferson City. The Pre-Rally is at 9:30 am with the March beginning at 10 am, followed by a rally in the rotunda of our State Capital. For more information, a detailed schedule and promotional material of the Midwest March for Life, you can visit www.midwestmarchforlife.com.
Thank you for all you do within your parishes and the diocese to promote the dignity of human life and support Pro-Life ministry! Let me know if you have any questions and I hope you are able to join in this beautiful event.-Fr. Paul Clark, Diocesan Moderator of Pro-Life Ministry
As a reminder:
- Bishop’s prayer intention for February – for those with limited print space availability, we now have the prayer intention in English only.
- Breaking the Silence of Abuse – resources for bulletins and web. Also, please publicize upcoming Protecting God’s Children (Virtus) workshops.
We’re pleased to announce the following staff changes at the Chancery:
- Erin Boeckmann will be assuming the role of Administrative Assistant to LeAnn Korsmeyer and Brad Copeland. She is very interested in working in the area of women’s ministry and parish and charitable services.
- Valerie Jannetti begins today, Jan. 27, as our receptionist. Valerie is the wife of Stephen Jannetti who is employed at Our Lady of the Lake. Valerie’s previous work experience includes roles in customer service, receptionist, pricing analyst and legal secretary.
- On Feb. 3, Denise Barnes will begin transitioning into role of Communications Specialist. Denise has a degree in marketing and education; supporting the Blackbaud system will be one of her key roles. She will begin work on Feb. 3 on a part-time basis as she transitions out of her current role as director of After School Care at St. Joseph’s Cathedral School.
The annual Lenten regulations and obligations are available on our website. Please visit https://diojeffcity.org/lenten-regulations/ for more information.
With Ash Wednesday on Feb. 26, Lent is approaching fast. Now is a good time to make sure your parish or school has all the CRS Rice Bowl materials you need to make this Lent a meaningful, faith-filled experience. If you haven’t received your materials, or if you haven’t participated in CRS Rice Bowl in the past but would like to do so now, please go to https://www.crsricebowl.org/ to order bowls, calendars and explore other available resources. The theme “For Lent For Life” reminds us that through CRS Rice Bowl U.S. Catholics are feeding the hungry of the world as well as the hungry at home.
There’s been another round of email scams in our parishes. Please consider posting this helpful information for your parishioners on how to identify email and text scams.
PLEASE PROMOTE THIS IN YOUR BULLETINS AND DIGITAL MEDIA:
Applications for the 2020-2021 Simon Scholarship and Warack Scholarship are being accepted through March 31, 2020. Applications can be acquired through the pastor or parish life collaborator or may be downloaded at diojeffcity.org/scholarships.
For those who keep their printed Diocesan Directory updated, below is a link to a listing of the most recent changes. Please note these changes have already been made on our website.
Employment opportunities: There are several openings in our Catholic schools. Please promote these openings.
Catholic Charities of Central and Northern Missouri is seeking a Director of Development & Outreach to lead our fundraising, marketing, public relations, and grant application and management efforts. Applicants must possesses a strong commitment to the mission of Catholic Charities including the understanding of Catholic Social Teaching and ability to demonstrate the philosophy and values of the agency. To learn more and apply: https://cccnmo.org/about/careers/
Parishes are asked to use this form to send any updates of their parishioners.
As a reminder:
- Parishes are asked to publish in their bulletins the need for relief parents at St. Nicholas Academy. You can find the listing here.
- In the interest of time and accuracy, The Catholic Missourian has moved to a simple online process for submitting events for the Things to Do page. To have an event considered for publication in Things to Do and in the diocesan online events calendar, go to diojeffcity.org/event-listing and follow the directions. The process is straightforward and user-friendly. Events submitted for display advertising will be automatically included in Things to Do, as will items that have been previously submitted.
Please consider promoting these events in your bulletins, other print publications, on your website and in other digital sites. Please use the description in our online event page (links provided for each event) for your print products. You may find more events on our diocesan website.
Protecting God’s Children workshops
The Catholic Church in the United States is committed to providing safe environments in all of our ministries and activities, especially those involving children and youth. One aspect of our commitment is that anyone who works with minors in our parishes, schools and other Catholic organizations in the Diocese of Jefferson City receive training. For a full list of trainings currently available, please visit our Virtus site and select “Jefferson City, MO (Diocese),” or go to our Events page and filter by “Protecting God’s Children.”
YOU ARE INVITED TO THE MIDWEST MARCH FOR LIFE 2020 The Tenth MidWest March To Honor and Glorify Jesus and Defend Innocent Life will be held Saturday, Feb. 1, beginning at St Peter Selinger Expo Hall, Jefferson City, with doors opening at 7:45 am, pre rally at 9:30 am, march at 10 am and rally with keynote David Bereit at 10:45 am in the State Rotunda. A Youth Rally will be given by Jacinta Florence of Students for Life of America and David Bereit, Founder of 40 Days for Life at 1 pm. Information is available at www.midwestmarchforlife.com or call 573-340- 8444. Sponsored by Columbia 40 Days For Life through St Andrew Prolife.
MIDWEST MARCH FOR LIFE TO HAVE PROLIFE TRAINING AFTER RALLY — Make plans to join David Bereit, Prolife speaker, former CEO and founder of 40 Days For Life, for Adult Apologetics at 1 pm in Father Ahrens Room, St Peter Parish, Jefferson City, and Jacinta Florence, Missouri and Arkansas Regional Coordinator, Students For Life, Youth Rally at 1 pm in Selinger Center Basement, St. Peter Parish, Jefferson City. Please take advantage of this wonderful training from two incredible prolife speakers. Last year’s training was a huge success and we are offering it not only to students but to adults of any age who want to know hear from one of America’s most sought after speakers, David Bereit. Call to reserve spot or for more information at 573 340 8444 or www.midwestmarchforlife.com
Urban Retreat Flyer Feb. 22 23
Wine Event2003MO Walk Sandals Flyer 3
Please feel free to disseminate the information in this Monday Morning Memo to a broader audience, such as parishioners and school families! Is there someone else who should receive this Weekly Memo? Please encourage them to sign up here!