Father Charles D. Pardee dies June 9
Father Charles D. Pardee, age 64, passed to his eternal reward peacefully on the afternoon of Pentecost Sunday, June 9, on his 35th anniversary of ordination to the holy priesthood.
Father Charles D. Pardee was born on September 30, 1954, in St. Louis to the late Donald L. and Concetta K. (Donati) Pardee. He is survived by his brother, Mark A. Pardee of Gulfport, Mississippi.
Father Pardee attended The Rosati Public School in Rosati, Missouri from 1960-1962 and the Lucy Wortham James Elementary School in St. James, Missouri from 1962-1968. He attended John F. Hodge High School in St. James from 1968-1972. He attended college at University of Missouri in Columbia from 1972-1975 receiving his bachelor’s degree in political science and at the University of Chicago from 1976-1977, majoring in political science in 1978. Since February 1978, he worked as Quotations Department Manager at Grabar Electric in Houston, Texas until going to seminary. In May 1980, he entered the seminary at the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, Ohio, where he received a MDiv and an MA in Moral Theology, both in 1984. He was ordained to the Holy Priesthood of Jesus Christ on June 9, 1984, at St. Anthony Church, Rosati, by the Most Reverend Michael F. McAuliffe, Bishop of Jefferson City.
Father Pardee’s pastoral assignments:
- Associate Pastor, Immaculate Conception Parish, Jefferson City, August 1, 1984-January 3, 1986
- Associate Pastor, St. Patrick Parish and Director, Campus Ministry of University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, January 3, 1986-November 9, 1990
- Pastor, Immaculate Conception Parish, Macon and Mission of the Sacred Heart, Bevier, November 9, 1990-August 2, 1995
- Pastor, SS. Peter & Paul Parish, Boonville, August 2, 1995-July 1, 1998
- Pastor, St. Thomas More Newman Center, Columbia – July 1, 1998–July 1, 2006
- Pastor, Immaculate Conception Parish, Loose Creek and St. Louis of France Parish, Bonnots Mill – July 1, 2006-January 16, 2009
- Permission granted to care for elderly and ailing parents in Rosati – January 16, 2009
- Pastor, Immaculate Conception Parish, St. James and St. Anthony Church, Rosati – July 1, 2009-July 1, 2015
- Pastor, St. Patrick Church, Rolla – June 27, 2012-July 1, 2016
- Canonical Pastor, Immaculate Conception Parish, Owensville and St. Alexander Parish, Belle – July 1, 2014-July 1, 2016
- Canonical Pastor of St. Michael Parish, Russellville – July 1, 2016-July 1, 2017
- Pastor, St. Peter Parish, Jefferson City – July 1, 2016-February 12, 2019
- Medical Leave and in residence at St. Anthony Parish, Rosati – February 12, 2019-Present
Father Pardee served in many diocesan capacities: Priests’ Personnel Board 1987-1998; Dean of the Columbia Deanery 1996-1998 and 2004-2006, of the Rolla Deanery 2014-2016; Permanent Diaconate teaching Staff 1998-2018; Chaplain at Jefferson City Correction Center 2006-2018; Pastors Review Panel 2016-2019; Priests Senate until 1998; Director of Campus Ministry 1998-2006; Diocesan Finance Committee 2000-2009; and Presbyteral Council Senator for the Westphalia Deanery 2006-2008. In 1989, Fr. Pardee was an instructor for the Worlds Religions Course at Tariko College in Rolla.
Father Pardee celebrated his 25th anniversary of ordination to the holy priesthood in 2009 at St. Anthony Church in Rosati, his home parish.
Father Pardee was an excellent homilist and cyclist. He was noted for traveling to unique destination spots around the globe and had traveled to all 50 states and well over 100 countries. He lived a frugal lifestyle. He grew up on a farm (grapes and cattle) and always loved that life. Despite all his travels he always indicated he loved most the beauty of Missouri’s fields and vineyards. He was strong in his challenge to people to live up to their commitments. He believed in the power of prayer along with God’s overwhelming generosity and the intercession of St. Anthony of Padua and Pope St. John Paul II that sustained him in ministry.
There will be a Vigil Service at St. Anthony Church, Rosati, Missouri, on Sunday, June 16, 2-8 pm, with a prayer service at 4 pm. The Mass of Christian Burial will be held at St. Anthony Church on Monday, June 17, at 11 am. Bishop W. Shawn McKnight will preside and Father Jason T. Doke will be the homilist. Burial will follow in the St. Anthony Cemetery in Rosati, next to his parents. A meal will follow at Immaculate Conception Parish Hall in St. James, Missouri.